Love baking with bananas? Well, you’ll love this banana loaf. This banana loaf is moist, fluffy and delicious. It is perfect as a sweet breakfast or with an afternoon cup of tea. Recipes made in 1lb loaf tins also make great gifts due to their petite size.
Banana loaf is also known as banana bread due to it being baked in a loaf tin. But essentially it is also a type of banana cake. This recipe is baked in a small 1lb loaf tin and is perfect for those that enjoy small batch baking.
There are many banana loaf recipes online but most of them are for larger banana loafs that are baked in a 2lb loaf tin. Though these are great, there are times when you only want to bake a recipe to last for a day or 2 which is why I starting baking loaf cakes in smaller 1lb loaf tins.
Another reason I love to bake in small batches is that I find sweet baked recipes always taste better during the first few days so you can easily use up the whole recipe before it begins to go stale. It’s also great for those who are trying to control their weight as there isn’t lots of cake laying around to be tempted by.
There are 239 calories in an average slice so if you’re trying to reduce calories but feel like a little sweet treat then you can enjoy this recipe without it being too detrimental to your diet.
This banana loaf can easily be frozen though with it being so small and yummy, you probably won’t have any leftovers to freeze.
Ingredients for Banana Loaf
- 155g self-raising flour – self raising flour is plain flour with added baking powder.
- ¼ teaspoon salt – enhance the flavour of the cake.
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon – adds flavour that goes well with banana.
- 30g unsalted butter – I use a little butter and oil in most of my cakes, this help create a moist loaf.
- 30ml vegetable oil – you can also use sunflower, canola or rapeseed oil.
- 40g soft light brown sugar – I use a mixture of brown and granulated sugar.
- 40g granulated sugar – use with the brown sugar to provide the perfect texture.
- 1 large egg – use a room temperature egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – enhances the flavour of the banana loaf.
- 60ml soured cream – helps the loaf to stay moist.
- 50ml milk - you can use any milk of choice.
- 2 small mashed bananas – use overripe bananas for better flavour. If you only have large bananas then just use 1.
How to Make Banana Loaf
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/325oF/170oC and line a 1lb loaf tin with baking paper. Set the loaf tin aside. To a bowl, add and combine the self raising flour, salt and ground cinnamon then set aside.
2. In another bowl cream together the butter, vegetable oil and both sugars. Once well combined, add in the egg, vanilla extract, sour cream, milk and mashed banana, mixing between each ingredient. Add in the dry ingredients set aside earlier and combine well.
3. Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes on the middle shelf. You can use a cake tester to test if it’s baked through. Place the tin on a cooling rack for 15 minutes then remove the cake from the tin and transfer to the cooling rack to completely cool.
- This recipe is easier to prepare by hand or by using a hand whisk. There are too little ingredients to use a stand mixer.
- 1lb loaf tins normally measures around 5 x 3 or 6 x 3 inches.
Nutrition based on 1 serving: Calories: 239kcal | Fat: 10.4g | Saturates: 4.0g | Carbs: 32.5g | Sugar: 16.9g | Fibre: 1.1g | Protein: 4.0g | Salt 0.29g
The banana loaf can be stored in an airtight container and left at room temperature for 3 – 4 days. It can also be frozen. If freezing in slices then place a piece of parchment paper between each slice then wrap in cling film. Banana loaf can last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipes that may interest you
- Strawberry Banana Cake with Whipped Cream
- Peanut Butter Banana and Chocolate Blondie Bars
- Amazing Banana Pancakes with Vegan Option
- Easy Banana Muffins with a hint of Cinnamon
Banana Loaf (1lb loaf tin recipe)
- 155g self-raising flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ ground cinnamon
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 40g soft light brown sugar
- 40g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60ml soured cream
- 50ml milk
- 2 small bananas or 1 large banana (mashed with a fork)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/325oF/170oC and line a 1lb loaf tin with baking paper. Set the loaf tin aside. To a bowl, add and combine the self raising flour, salt and ground cinnamon then set aside.
- In another bowl cream together the butter, vegetable oil and both sugars. Once well combined, add in the egg, vanilla extract, sour cream, milk and mashed banana, mixing between each ingredient. Add in the dry ingredients set aside earlier and combine well.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes on the middle shelf. You can use a cake tester to test if it’s baked through. Place the tin on a cooling rack for 15 minutes then remove the cake from the tin and transfer to the cooling rack to completely cool.
I’ve been looking for a 1lb loaf tin recipe for a while. Banana bread is delicious.
I can't believe this recipe only has one review! I've made this a few times now (only thing I've changed is the temperature to 150°c for a fan oven as it didn't cook evenly at 170°c) and my boyfriend and I love it!
Hi Kristy, thank you for leaving a comment. I'm happy you both love it 🙂