A simple deli style sandwich made with pastrami, Swiss cheese and gherkins. Ideal for lunch or a light dinner.
This sandwich is inspired by the New York Pastrami on Rye which is one of my favourite sandwiches. The first time I tried a Pastrami on Rye was when I was on holiday in New York and it was so good.
For this sandwich you’ll need pastrami and rye bread. Pastrami is beef brisket that has been cured in brine and spices and is then smoked. Rye bread is a bread made using rye grain. The rye bread gives this sandwich its distinctive flavour. The sandwich has a smoky flavour from the pastrami which is balanced with the tangy and sweet flavour of the gherkins. The Emmental cheese which is a Swiss cheese goes well with all these flavours.
This sandwich is very filling and perfect if you are looking for a quick lunch as it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. There’s no cooking involved so you get a delicious filling lunch with minimal effort.
Ingredients for Deli Style Pastrami Sandwich
- 2 slices of rye bread - also works well with half rye bread or sourdough.
- 10g butter – I use slightly salted but use any butter or vegetable spread you prefer.
- 50g pastrami – or cooked sliced brisket.
- 1 -2 slices emmental cheese - Swiss cheese that can be bought sliced or in a block. I buy mine sliced.
- 40g gherkins – or pickles (sliced).
- 10g mustard – use American style mustard.
How to Make Deli Style Pastrami Sandwich
1. To make this sandwich, butter the 2 slices of bread, lay on the pastrami, cheese and gherkins then top with the mustard. Cut in half then enjoy.
- All the measurements are what I use but you can adapt this sandwich to your liking. You can use more or less of each ingredient to adapt it to your taste.
- You can use dairy free spread if you don't consume dairy.
Nutrition based on 1 serving - Calories: 498kcal | Fat: 21.8g | Saturates: 11.7g | Carbs: 47.4g | Sugar: 4.4g | Fibre: 4.5g | Protein: 27.6g | Salt: 2.71g.
Make this sandwich to eat immediately.
Recipes that may interest you!
Deli Style Pastrami Sandwich
- 2 slices rye bread or mixed rye/sourdough
- 10g butter or dairy free spread
- 50g pastrami or sliced cooked brisket
- 1 -2 slices emmental cheese
- 40g gherkins sliced
- 10ml american mustard
- To make this sandwich, butter the 2 slices of bread, lay on the pastrami, cheese and gherkins then top with the mustard. Cut in half then enjoy.